This position of Senior Economist is to play an important role in the Economics team, analysing data, interpreting policy and helping deliver projects. This post is focused on work in Wales and South West England, but also covering the rest of the UK. You can be based in either our Cardiff or Bristol offices.
The Savills Economics team has established a reputation as one of the leading players in the UK covering property and economic analysis and research. We are working on projects including: Levelling Up Fund bids across the UK; industrial market analysis for clients including Tritax Symmetry, St Modwens and Peel Holdings ; land value uplift and capture analysis for Transport for London; Manchester High Speed 2 stations development frameworks for Manchester City Council; Ellesmere Port low carbon and development strategy; electric vehicle charging market research for an institutional investor; and economic benefits assessments, social infrastructure analysis and negotiations, and infrastructure funding bids for a range of developers and land owners.
The remit of the Economics team is to lead on work in the field of property, planning and economics, covering:
- Preparing and influencing economic, planning, property, regeneration, and infrastructure development strategy, policy and research at national, regional and local levels.
- Establishing the economic, financial and business cases for projects and programmes, including major proposals and estate/property initiatives.
- Carrying out social and economic impact assessments, for example as part of the formal environmental impact assessment (EIA) process.
- Support the development of new business opportunities in the field of economic consultancy as opportunities arise.
The team draws upon and works with other teams in Savills, for example its remit includes working with the Savills Research team to jointly develop areas of research that will raise the profile of the company.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
The role of the senior economist/planner is to:
- Manage a variety of economics consulting instructions, including managing junior members of the team, resource planning, budget management and project management.
- Play a lead technical modelling and analysis role across business case development, economic appraisals, property market research and socio-economic impact analysis.
- Work with others on marketing and bids to secure work
- Ensure the profitable performance of assigned projects
- Support directors in developing new business opportunities in the field of economic consultancy in Wales and other Savills offices as required.
- Support the development of competitive proposals
- Liaise and cultivate good relationships with clients and fellow professionals
- Take responsibility for projects from the earliest stages through to completion
- Undertake research and analysis
- Develop creative and original solutions to satisfy all parties
- Write complex reports, interpreting data and making clear and relevant recommendations
- Prepare/make/ support presentations at meetings
- Communicate and negotiate effectively with clients and colleagues
- Effective financial management of projects to ensure profitable delivery
- Maintain an awareness of market conditions and the impact of government policies
- Keep informed about documents relating to relevant policy and practice
- Attends external events to create local contacts and identify business opportunities.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Numerical and analytic skills, preferably including modelling expertise (usual in Excel) and ability to carry out property appraisals and broader policy analysis.
- Detail conscious, accurate
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Thrives under pressure, can work to tight deadlines
- Team player
- Strives to deliver an exceptional level of service to clients at all times
- A good knowledge of micro-economics principles and concepts, feasibility studies and business plans, and ability to effectively apply this knowledge to the team’s areas of work.
- Experience in successfully helping to deliver projects to budget and programme (essential)
- Consultancy experience (strongly desirable)
- A degree in economics, town planning, geography, property surveying, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience